The App Store over the years has won customer trust for secure apps since each app goes through an approval process. However, in the recent past there have been many cases where users’ data has been compromised due to the app developers server being hacked or not using enough security measures.
It was recently revealed that the popular Starbucks app for iOS stores user names, email address and passwords in clear text. This valuable information could easily be accessed by connecting your smartphone with the app installed to a computer. While this is not the same as recent Snapchat security breach that happened last week. It does raise some concerns over app developers commitment to keep their users’ data secure.
Starbucks spokeswoman in a statement to PCMag said, “While we are aware of this report, there is no known impact to our customers,”. Customers who often buy from Starbucks enjoy the connivence of customising their order and paying online through the application.
According to a report, Starbucks mobile app is the most used mobile payment application in the U.S. While it does provide ease of use, customers have repeatedly complained about the app not remembering passwords and often losing all information of gift cards.
Apple has set a number of guidelines for app developer to follow to have their apps approved for sale on the App Store. The recent security breaches and inadequate measures for protecting users data may soon become a huge concern for Apple.
In coming months it won’t be surprising for Apple to start rejecting applications that don’t comply with strict security measures for apps that store sensitive user information. It will be interesting to see if Apple improves its guidelines for developers to develop more secure apps for its audience.
by Starbucks Coffee Company
The Starbucks® app for iPhone® is a fast and easy way to pay for your order and earn rewards – no wallet necessary. Discover what songs are playing in our stores, and take the sound of Starbucks with you. Short on time? Customize, pay, and pick up your order from a nearby store, without waiting in line (at participating stores).
• Pay: Use your phone to pay at 7,000 U.S. company-operated Starbucks® stores and 2,500 Target and Safeway Starbucks® locations in the U.S.
• Mobile Order & Pay: Customize and place your order, and pick up from a nearby store without waiting in line.
• Music: Discover what songs are playing in our stores.
• Card: Check your Starbucks Card balance, reload your Card, view your transaction history and transfer balances between Cards.
• Tipping: Leave a digital tip on purchases made with the app at company-operated Starbucks® stores.
• Rewards: Track your Stars and redeem your Rewards and custom offers with the My Starbucks Rewards® loyalty program.
• Gift: Send eGifts to friends.
• Store Locator: Find the stores nearest you, directions, hours and amenities.