Earlier this month, rumors about Apple looking to release a standalone Podcast app were all over the web. On Tuesday, ahead of iOS 6 release date Apple released the Podcasts app, offering up a variety of features, previously within the Music app on iOS, with its own interface.
Apple released the app on the App Store early Tuesday as a free download, however, a redeem button within a app has led some users to believe that there may be paid podcasts offered in the near future.
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
– Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
– Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
– Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
– Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
– Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
– Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
– Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
– Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
– Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
– Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
– Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
The app offers all of the podcasts that were previously available through iTunes, but with a new interface and allows users to stream and download podcasts. Users can also sync podcasts across devices running with the same Apple ID.