Mayan Puzzle Rating:
It appears that the demand for Match 3 type puzzle games is not going away despite the App Store being flooded with them. The latest one to pass my way is the first from developers Mind Crew and it’s called Mayan Puzzle.
The game is inspired by the ancient Mayans and the whole game looks and sounds wonderful with it’s animated themes, ancient sound track and jungle sound effects you could almost imagine that you are back in those times.
Luckily for you though you aren’t as you wouldn’t be reading this article or be able to play the game on your iPhone or iPod Touch if you were. While the game is a traditional Match 3 game there are 4 modes in total and it adds a freshness to the genre that is much needed.
Each of the 4 modes are executed in a similar way, you drag the the beautifully illustrated blocks from side to side and when 3 or more of them line up either vertically or horizontally they will disappear with a crescendo of fireworks, bangs and sparkles. However the challenge of each of the four modes is different, here’s a summary of them all:
- Classic Mode – Clear all of the blocks from the screen with only a limited amount of moves.
- Time Trial – Choose from 30, 60, 90 or 120 seconds and clear as many blocks as you can in the given time. You can add additional rows of blocks by swiping up on the screen.
- Challenge Mode – Choose from 1 of 4 difficulty levels and and clear the screen of blocks. The harder the level the larger the range of blocks is to work with.
- Marathon – Take all the time you need to clear as many blocks as you can and claim the highest score.
As with most match 3 type games the more blocks you clear at any one time the more points you earn and with the OpenFeint integration you can easily compare your scores with players all around the would across all games modes and difficulties.
The OpenFeint integration also has 35 achievements for you to claim which adds an additional challenge to the game, not that any was specifically needed as the game is a challenge in it’s own right.
The word addictive is thrown around too easily these days but Mayan Puzzle certainly deserves that accolade as once picked up it is difficult to put down.
- Multiple combinations of game mode and difficulty
- Beautiful graphics and sound
- 35 OpenFeint achievements
- Little if no help
Reviewed on an iPhone 4
Price: $0.99 (App Store)
Released:Aug 08, 2010
Size: 16.6 MB
© 2010 Mind Crew
Requirements:Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.