iOS 5 Possibly Pushed To Fall
We all expected to hear at least some tentative details about iOS 5 when the iPad 2 was announced, but alas no information was forthcoming. According to TechCrunch the reason we’re not hearing anything could be rather simple – it’s not ready yet.
In the TechCrunch post MG Siegler writes that, according to sources, the next major release of Apple’s mobile operating system has been pushed back to a Fall release. With major releases of iOS tending to arrive with a new iPhone it was expected we would have heard at least some details by now, but now it is suspected (by TechCrunch at least) that the iPhone 5 will actually be powered by iOS 4 with an update coming at a later date.
Other claims to come out of Siegler’s post are:
- iOS 5 will launch in the fall and will be a major revamp of the OS.
- It could well be previewed at WWDC, it just won’t be released then.
- The iOS 5 launch is also likely to coincide with the release of a new type of iPad, which we previously reported on.
- The new iOS will be heavily built around the cloud, and we could see several new services launch from Apple that take advantage of this.
- Yes, one of those is very likely a “music locker” service. There is also a fall launch aim for this, during Apple’s annual music-themed event.
- But much of the cloud stuff will first be talked about at WWDC, Apple’s developer event which will take place in June.
- One of the new cloud service elements is likely a location service that focuses on finding friends and family members.
- As we said yesterday, OS X Lion is still on pace for a summer release — some of the new cloud components are likely to be baked into it as well.
The most interesting tidbit is the mention of the much-anticipated ‘music locker’. With Apple buying LaLa in 2009 a streaming music service has been on the cards for some time now while the music industry has been keen to avoid giving Apple any more power than it already has in the music business. If a deal has indeed been struck then that could be huge news for music fans.
We at TouchReviews can cope with a delayed iOS 5 if it means we’re in for something special when it finally lands on our various iDevices. Just please Apple, don’t give us a couple of new options and call it a new version! We want new notifications as a priority!
Make it so guys!