Apple today released their latest iOS update for iPhone and iPod touch. iOS 4.1 addresses the performance bug in iOS 4.0 which caused slow performance for iPhone 3G users and also fixes the iPhone 4 proximity sensor bug.
The update also adds Game Center, which is Apple’s take on social gaming. It enables users to auto-match with others, compare scores on leaderboards, unlock achievements and more.
During the special music event Steve Jobs announced that iOS 4.1 would enable users to take HDR photos, rent TV shows and upload videos to YouTube over Wi-Fi on iPhone 4 and all these features will be installed on your device after you have finished upgrading.
Complete list of iOS 4.1 features and improvements:
- Game Center
- Send and receive friend requests
- Invite friends to multi-player games over the Internet
- Play multi-player games by auto-matching with other
- View Leaderboards and Achievements
- Discover new games from friends
- High dynamic range (HDR) photos on iPhone 4
- Support for TV show rentals on iTunes
- Ability to upload HD videos to YouTube and MobileMe over Wi-Fi on iPhone 4
- Additional support for AVRCP-supported accessories, including next & previous track control
- FaceTime calling directly from Favorites
Bug fixes, including:
- iPhone 4 proximity sensor performance
- iPhone 3G performance
- Nike+iPod fixes
- Bluetooth improvements
Products compatible with this software update:
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 3G
- iPod touch 2nd generation, or later
Game Center requires iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 2nd generation or later.